HAUT

Croux Gate

In addition to its defensive role, the Croux Gate obtained a commercial role through taxes on consumer products that entered through the town gates.

A former tower-gate with a drawbridge and machicolation built at the end of the 14thcentury, the Croux Gate owes its name to the swampy grounds formed by the waters of the Passière River, which today flows underground. In 1847, Baron de Vertpré acquired the building in order to give it to the town of Nevers to take care of its restoration as an Historical Monument and to be the site of a museum of antiquities. Since 1851, Croux Gate has been home to the Nièvre archaeological museum. Over three floors, the museum has a remarkable collection of objects which come mainly from Nevers and the Nièvre département.

porteCrouxArticle